Thursday, September 3, 2015

Apologizing...

One time my brother and I were playing castle outside in our lawn.  I was the queen (obviously) and T was my horse.  In order to make it as realistic as possible, I told him that he needed to eat grass in order to make it as realistic as possible.  To make a short story shorter, he started choking and got really sick.  We even had to call a doctor.  I had to apologize.

One time I took a seemingly harmless and irrelevant circumstance and blew it so far out of proportion that I lost a few really good friends.  I let my temporary anger have a long-lasting effect, and I'm still upset with myself for acting so immaturely.  I tried to apologize.

One time my boss overbooked the conference rooms, and I had to somehow find a place for all three groups while also handling other responsibilities.  Even with a few angry people breathing down my neck, I was able to make everyone happy in the end.  I had to apologize for someone else.

I spilt my milk all over the kitchen counter.  I apologized.

I zoned out when my roommate was telling me a story.  I apologized.

I accidentally bumped into the woman behind my in the grocery store.  I apologized.

We do it every single day. Usually the simple "I'm sorry" slips without much difficulty and we easily go on with our day.  Some days, though, we're forced to swallow our pride and apologize for doing something hurtful.  It's one of the easiest things to say, but one of the hardest things to actually mean.

In each of the above scenarios, I knew that I needed to apologize.  Some of them were hard and some of them were easy, but they were all necessary.  As someone who hates confrontation, I sometimes find myself apologizing even when it's not necessary.  I've mentioned these previously on the blog before, but I stand behind the fact that there are three things you should never apologize for:

Your Looks, Your Lifestyle, Your Happiness


Your Looks:
Let's just get one thing straight: we're all freaking beautiful.  There is seriously no other way to put it. You're beautiful, He's beautiful, She's beautiful, They're beautiful, We're beautiful, I'M BEAUTIFUL.

I'll be the first one to say that after a night of restless sleep, a late alarm, and a busy schedule; I'm not Victoria Secret material.  For some reason, when I arrive to class in less than perfect condition, I feel the need to apologize to people.

"I apologize for my appearance, it's been a long morning." or "Gosh, I'm sorry, I look insanely tired."

STOP.

First, I can tell you right now that your natural face is not scaring anyone; actually, it's probably really refreshing to see.  Second, if someone really is freaked out by your looks; remove yourself from the situation.  You don't need that negativity in your life and that person doesn't deserve to see your sexy ass face. *drop mic*

Your Lifestyle and Your Happiness (These are (theoretically) very similar, but SO important that they deserve two titles): 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: you have to trust that others can make decisions for themselves.  With that in mind, you also have to trust yourself with making decisions.  It's your life, so when it comes to making decisions that could dramatically change it: make sure it's your decision too.

Do what makes you happy. Period.

Do Cheese-Itz make you happy?  Eat them every damn day.
Does staying out late, dancing with your gal pals make you happy?  You stay out till four, Glen Coco.
Would you rather stay at home, snuggle your guinea pig pet, and contemplate your life? DO IT, BRUH!

And let others have their own kind of happiness.

I have to apologize here, because I don't think I've made myself clear enough with some of my past posts.  Yes, I am single.  No, I've never pictured myself with a family.  Does that mean I don't want one?  No.  Does it mean I'm a prude?  No.  I've never met someone I can picture having a family with (yet), and I am so career-driven that I just haven't added that aspect to the big picture (yet).

I'm happy being single, and I have friends (who are younger than me) who are happy to be married.  It's time we stop picking a 'side' and just support each other in what makes us happy.  I'm happy focusing on my career and the goals I've set for myself, but what makes me happy might not make someone else happy.  Just because someone decides to get married at twenty doesn't mean their 'settling' or 'giving up the rest of their life'.  They're doing what makes them happy: let them be happy.

I will repeat myself: you have to trust that others can make decisions for themselves AND that those decisions will bring them happiness.  If it makes them happy, do you really have the audacity to step forward and say they made a mistake?

I'll answer that for you: No.


If we all just start to trust each other to make decisions for ourselves, we can stop feeling the need to apologize for irrational things.  There are going to be people out there who criticize everything you do, but don't let them win by throwing an apology out there to calm the waters.

You look beautiful,
you are the best decision maker for your life,
and if you're happy;

There's nothing to be sorry for.

You can support my campaign for World Suicide Prevention Week at the link below!  Help To Write Love on Her Arms continue bringing awareness and tools for those suffering with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide!  
It's time we kick out that negative stereotype behind mental illness!
Help me fight for more tomorrows!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment