Monday, February 15, 2016

An Open Letter to My Long Distance Friends...

How long has it been since we last talked? A day? A week? A year?

No matter the length of time, it's been way too long.

How far is the distance between us? One town over? A four hour drive? A plane ride?

No matter the distance, it's definitely too far.
Thank you...
Thank you for always being the person I can call when I need an outside perspective to a life crisis.  Thank you for ignoring the days, weeks, or years between conversations and jumping in as if we never stopped talking.  Thank you for letting me call just to hear your voice.  Thank you for the infinite number of snapchats.  Thank you for sending me snail mail; the letters and the drawings (of donkeys) help make the distance just a bit more bearable.  Thank you for the #ThrowbackThursday photos to the last time we were together.  Thank you for showing me what true friends are like.  It really does take a special kind of friendship to survive differing timezones.

I'm sorry...
I'm sorry that we don't talk everyday or even every week.  I'm sorry that I leave text messages unanswered for days.  I'm sorry that liking your recent photos on Facebook has become my only way of communicating with you on a daily basis.  I'm sorry that visiting you sometimes means saving money for over a year or clearing an entire weekend of responsibilities for driving.  I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to give you a hug when that boy/girl made you cry or when the pressures of school and life were just too much.  I'm sorry I can't be there to laugh at you when you fall up the stairs.  And I'm sorry I wasn't there when you graduated college or got engaged.

Distance might be the ultimate 'test' of a friendship, but we make it work in our own little way.  Even though I can't physically be there for you;

I promise...
I promise to always answer your call, text, Skype, FaceTime, or email.  I promise to be that person you call when you just want to cry, laugh, or talk until you turn blue.  I promise to never find your daily stories boring or cut you off.  I promise to tell everyone about your most recent achievement, even when they have no idea who you are.  I promise to have virtual dance parties when our favorite artist releases a new song.  I promise to always text you book and TV show recommendations, and I promise to read every web article you send me through Facebook.  I promise to never judge you for the amount of time it takes you to respond to a text or phone call, and I promise to be your #1 fan to your life dreams.

I promise to always be just a phone call away, and when you really need me, I promise to do everything I can to be there for you physically.  You're extremely important to me and it's going to take a lot more than miles to keep us apart.

And finally, when we're finally reunited, I promise to make up for all of those 'virtual' hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment