Monday, February 4, 2013

Frustrated Diaries

Do you want to make an impact?

Have you ever wanted to make a change?

Are you passionate about something that no one else seems to care about?

Do you have a million ideas swimming in your head, but no one will listen?

          Welcome to my world!  There are times when I feel so passionate about something that I can't even focus!  For example; the subject I'm writing on today.  About a week ago I had this 'epiphany' after church that resulted in TWO different 'rant rages', where I vented everything I was feeling to my roommate and friend.  Sometimes, my passion can get a bit scary!  When I believe in a change, I hold faith in it wholeheartedly.  There are so many things within our world that need to be fixed and changed, and I want to do that.

I want to change the world!

Before I move on to my next point, I would like to explain what spurred this thought process: I was watching a Disney movie again.  Sadly, I can’t call this one an animation intervention because it was The Princess Diaries.  I really didn’t focus too much on the movie because I was working on homework, but there was one part that gained my explicit attention.  Near the end of the movie, while Mia and Lilly were fighting, Mia mentions that she is no longer going to be a princess because just the thought of it is a nightmare.  Lilly quickly jumped back with a reply that got the gears in my brain moving.

“Think about it!  I just found out that my cable show only reaches 12 people.  Wanting to rock the world, but having zip power like me—now that’s a nightmare(Lilly from The Princess Diaries)

                This is where ALL of my frustrations have been born from.  You know how hard it is to make an impact with 73 followers on Twitter,  5 YouTube Subscribers, and Millions of Ideas?  I can talk and rant all I want on here, but no change will ever take place because I am only little Miss Lizzy.  It almost moves me to tears knowing that people aren't going to take what I say to heart because I’m not famous: I can't sing, I can't act, and I don't have the looks for modeling.  Sometimes it seems like the only way to make a significant change at my age is to sing, act, or model.  However, I’m not writing this to tell you my sob story.  I have no doubt that I will make a change one day.  I have enough confidence, and I believe in my dreams enough that I know it will happen, but I want to focus on the people who don’t have to wait for their ‘fan-base’.  This post is about the present people who can make a change now!  I want to focus on the celebrities who got MILLIONS of followers just by pursuing their dreams.  Let’s look at a few:

Justin Bieber is currently an 18 year-old singer/artist with 33,921,938 Twitter followers.

Jack Harries is currently a 19 year-old vlogger with 1,015,970 YouTube Subscribers.

In all, the boys of One Direction have around 45,838,100 Twitter followers.

(Numbers found on Twitter.com and YouTube.com)

                Can we just take a moment and think this through?  Honestly, it seems like these people CONTROL us.  We hang on their every word in the hopes that we ‘might’ be noticed or ‘retweeted’.  They could say one thing like, "I like girls who eat carrots." and start a carrot TAKEOVER!  With one single tweet, any of these people could make a HUGE impact!  Justin Bieber is my age, and he holds the power I want and need in order to install change.  It’s just… WOW!

“Wow is having the power to affect change.  Make people listen!  How many teenagers have that power?” (Lilly from The Princess Diaries)

                To move on, my next question is what I really want to focus on: What do they do with the power they have?  Let’s take a look at some tweets or videos these people uploaded:

                Justin retweeted what several of his fans had so say about his new album.  Jack uploaded a video answering silly questions his fans sent him.  One Direction, on the other hand, is well-known for using their many followers for ‘advertising’ (Ex: VOTE FOR US). 

***Before I go on I want to make it very clear that I do not hate or dislike any of these people.  I am in love with Justin’s new acoustic album, I look up to Jack as a vlogger because it is a skill I want to acquire (really bad at it), and I am a hard-core Directioner.  I could have picked any other random celebrities but these people were the most well-known to me, and I’m using them to get my point across to you.  Also, I understand that these celebrities may have more ‘inspirational’ tweets or videos in the past, but I am trying to make a point.***

Now, look back at what these people have recently talked about.  I’m sorry but if I had even HALF of the followers they do, I wouldn't be tweeting about my next album or what I had to eat.  I’d be challenging my followers EACH AND EVERY DAY to do something amazing.  It almost makes me sick knowing that these people hold the power to really influence change and they tweet about their dinner.  No, I don’t expect these people to completely stop using Twitter or YouTube the way they have been.  I applaud them on using their resources for free advertising, thanking the fans, and having fun.  But imagine this: You’re getting ready to go to a (insert favorite artist here) concert.  You’re super excited and can’t wait to sing all night long.  Right before you leave you check Twitter one last time, and you see that your favorite artist sent out a tweet that said, “Can’t wait 4 the show 2night! U know what would make it better? If my fans brought their old coats, hats, & gloves! We could make a change!”  Honestly, if One Direction asked me to do this, I’d be running through my house grabbing ALL of my old clothes.  Can you imagine the impact they could make?!  Justin Bieber has sold over 15 million albums worldwide.  Imagine if he made the promise that $.50 from each album sold would go to cancer research.  In all, he would have donated 7.5 million dollars to cancer research.  Jack Harries’ has reached fame over YouTube to the point that people send him tons of mail!  Jack usually has his twin, Finn, help him open the mail.  Finn, being cheeky, decided to be funny and say that the fans should send them money.  They both immediately shot the idea down and told their fans not to.  However, in their next mail video, there were several envelopes and packages with money inside.  Imagine if these boys were to say that any money sent to them would go to the homeless shelter?  They received money even when they said they didn’t want it!  If people know that their money is going to good cause, they are more likely to send it.  Need more examples?  One Direction recently had a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden.  If my research is correct, that’s about 20,000 screaming fans.  Imagine if they asked their fans to bring ONE CAN of food for the food pantry.  That’s 20,000 cans that can go to families in need.  TWENTY THOUSAND!  I can’t even write in words how much good that could do!  These guys could basically mobilize an army for a cause.

It’s seriously mind-blowing how much of a change a little action can make, and it’s not only the action by them that could make this possible.  Yes, I was just whining about not being able to make a big change without a huge fan base, and yes, my impact isn't as big as 7.5 million dollars, but that doesn't mean I’m gonna stop trying.  The biggest excuse people use is; “I can’t give millions of dollars, so why should I even bother!  My small donation won’t make a change.”  First, every little thing helps.  You may find the McDonald’s menu unhealthy and not worth a dollar, but that small fresh sandwich would mean the world to someone scrounging through the trash for dinner.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Wouldn't you want someone to help?  Second, you don’t have to give a monetary donation.  Instead, donate your time.  Spending 30 minutes to walk dogs at the local shelter is a much better use of your time than watching funny cat videos on YouTube.  Don’t let any opportunity fly by.  Even if it's small, it will still make some sort of a positive impact.  

“And then I realized how many stupid times a day I used the word "I". In fact, probably all I ever do is think about myself. And how lame is that when there's, like, 7 billion other people out there on the planet… But then I thought: if I cared about the other 7 billion out there instead of just me.  That’s probably a much better use of my time.” (Mia from The Princess Diaries)

If you’re one of those ‘famous’ people I’m referring to, please don't take my words as hate.  Take them as a challenge.  Take my words and put them into action.  No, you don’t have to stop tweeting about your next album or what you had to eat, but take advantage of your fan-base.  I’m trying to get you to understand the power you hold.  Don’t sit there and think, “Wow, this girl has a great way with words! I’m gonna add her on Twitter!”  Thanks, but NO!  Don’t add me on Twitter or support me if you aren't going to take my words to heart.  Your true test isn't if my words ‘hit you’. 

Your test is your reaction.

Your test is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment