Friday, May 31, 2013

"Must-Have Musgraves"- Artist Recommendation and Small Rant

         It has been two days since my mom left for vacation, and I'm already sick of running the store.  Just today, I broke 3 needles, stabbed my finger 9 times, might have punched the machine, and had a mental breakdown.  After five hours of frustration I only had 3 hats to show for it.  For that reason, I'm now in the process of decreasing my blood pressure.  Since that requires zero movement from the couch I'm sitting on; I decided to update you guys on the recent musical discovery I made.

          I've always been a fan of country music.  I'm not talking the gray space between pop and country that Taylor Swift falls under.  I'm talking hard-core-Garth-Brooks country.  With the recent success of "Pop-Country", I started to lose faith in the basic country genre.  I don't really have a favorite genre because I do like pop, but country is country: you don't mess with that, and I feel like it's changing and not for the better.

          Whenever my dad and I are driving together, the radio station is set for country.  Since my mom and brother are currently gone, my dad and I went out to eat last night in a town about 15 minutes away (Ribeye Steak, baby).  Just as we pulled into the town, a song came on that grabbed both of our attentions.  I know what you're thinking: "Wow, Lizzy!  You discovered this song yesterday and you're already posting about it!? Way to go!".  Yea, well I wanted to jump right on this, because when I first discovered Tich (HERE you can find my favorite song by her) I was super excited to share my discovery.  The very next day, however, Harry Styles tweeted about her.  Needless to say, I was a little bitter when I saw hundreds of Directioners flooding her comments.  Basically, he stole my thunder, but I'm being sure that never happens again!  The song was "Follow Your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves.  If you haven't heard of it, pleasure your ears with this amazing, fun song:


          Not only is this a catchy, fun tune; it really encompasses how our society is at the moment.  Let's get serious here for a moment.  One of the most tagged lines in the world is "Nobody's Perfect".  However, we spend millions of dollars DAILY buying things and products to get as close to perfect as possible.  But wait... I thought no one was perfect?  Don't think I'm talking from the outside-looking-in.  I'm just like everyone else.  I spend hundreds of dollars buying make-up and clothes that fit 'my style' and society's 'style'.  When I shop: I don't feel like I'm shopping to please myself.  I'm shopping to please the judgmental people I encounter everyday.  The first thing someone sees of you is your outward appearance.  Not your character.  Not your personality.  Your appearance.  They take-in your shoes, face, and hair before you even say a greeting.  No matter how open someone is; the very first impression they get is your appearance.  It sounds almost hypocritical to say "Nobody's Perfect".  If no one's perfect, then why do we try so hard to be?

          Wow, that was deeper than I expected, but necessary.  Contrary to what a lot of people say: insecurities aren't something to hide; they're something to showcase.  You're a LIMITED EDITION product.  You're only available for so long and only once.  Why would you try to change yourself to be like the other stock?  Don't have an answer? Neither do I.

          When I write posts like this it makes me feel very hypocritical.  I notice all of these bad things people do, and I'm right next to them doing the same thing.  I guess you could say I don't do what I preach, but I am working on it.  This blog is one way I'm trying to achieve that.  I'm happy to say that Lizzy's Luggage is 100% Lizzy, with no additional preservatives.  My biggest goal now: start to believe what I'm writing.

          Back to the song: I'm sure we all have that song or playlist we go to when we're feeling insecure.  This song should be added.  My "Turn That Frown Upside Down" playlist (as I like to call it) is played on full-blast whenever I have a bad day or just need a pick-me-up.  Here's a couple songs on my playlist:

-"Follow You're Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves **Newly Added**
-"Gold" by Britt Nicole
-"Little Things" by One Direction
-"Listen" by Beyonce
-"What the Hell" by Avril Lavigne
-"Wings" by Little Mix
-"Here's to Us" by Halestorm (Glee Version)

          Obviously, there are many, many more, but these are my most played.  I'd recommend creating one of these playlists if you don't have one.  Fill it with songs that make you feel happy!  If you're happiest when listening to Adele: add it on (even though you're probably alone).  We need to get rid of the word perfect, because it is nonexistant.  Instead of being perfect: showcase why you're not perfect.  Those are the things that make you who you are, and they should be celebrated... not hidden.


No comments:

Post a Comment