Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Media Expo [Recap]

          I got the amazing chance to attend the New Media Expo in Las Vegas this last weekend, and to say it was rewarding is an understatement.  I've learned a lot of useful tips to implement on Lizzy's Luggage.  I also met a very diverse group of content creators over the span of the conference and made numerous relationships with people who I plan to connect with in the future.


          I discovered this conference last year around this time and quickly took the initiative and bought a pass at the early bird rate.  I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that attending could only be positive.  Unlike some other conferences, this conference included creators who use all types of New Media: Blogging, Web TV, and/or Podcasting.  Each day they had a couple of keynote presentations that brought together all of the different creators.  My favorite keynote was done by Mr. Scott Stratten, author of QR Codes Kill Kittens.  He talked about how QR codes are an asset IF used correctly.  I was never a huge listener of podcasts but his is one I'll definitely start to pay attention to.  (And yes, that is a QR code made of Oreo cookies)


          After the morning keynotes, I got the choice to choose from numerous different breakout sessions.  These were great because you were able to focus in on one aspect of blogging, vlogging, or podcasting.  I mostly attended the blogging sessions, but as an aspiring vlogger I also took the chance to sit-in on some classes about Web TV.  My favorite session was a standing-room talk by Pat Flynn on how to convert your casual readers into a thriving community of raving fans.


          My trip to Vegas wasn't just work, though.  My mom and I had a great mini-vacation together!  Not only did we attend two amazing shows (Celine Dion and Blue Man Group), we also hit-up Fashion Show Mall and Fremont Street.  



        Overall, the trip was very enjoyable.  Stay tuned for my Las Vegas Haul Video and a post on my conference fashion/make=up hitting the inter webs soon.  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment