Monday, September 15, 2014

Haulin' Around… Books

I know what you're thinking, "Yay! Lizzy finally spent enough money on books to write a haul post!" and trust me, I don't regret one penny.  Over a span of two separate days, I became the owner of seven new, bright, and shiny books.  Here they are, separated into 'The Read' and 'The Unread'.


==The Read==

#1: The Maze Runner (Book 1)by James Dashner
Like the cool person I am, I let my roommate borrow this after I finished it in only three days (hence no picture).  If you haven't yet, I definitely recommend picking this one up before the movie comes out on September 19th (8-18 at 10pm for those hardcore fans).  Here's my attempt of a review without spoiling anything: "If you like books that make you think and want to throw objects across the room in pure shock; buy the book.  If you only like books that are happy beginnings and endings with a little bit of kissy-kissy romance mixed in; don't buy the book."  Easy enough?

#2: Paper Townsby John Green 
I've been a bit busy getting ready to study abroad (less that two weeks people) so I haven't trucked through this book as fast as I did The Maze Runner or John's other book, The Fault in our Stars.  The story focuses around a young boy named Quentin and his 'friend' Margo Roth Spiegelman (you can't just say Margo; it's Margo Roth Spiegelman).  In true John Green fashion, the book is painfully touching and full of quotes that you find yourself reading twice.  I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a book that makes your heart ache and brain think.

"That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people would want to be around someone because they're pretty.  That's like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste."

"When you say nasty things about people, you should never say the true ones, because you can't really fully and honestly take those back, you know?  I mean, there are highlights.  And there are streaks.  And then there are skunk stripes."

#3: Landline by Rainbow Rowell

If you follow me on Twitter, you'll know about my outrageous obsession with tweeting to authors.  Let's just say Rowell has fallen victim to this obsession multiple times.  Nonetheless, she did reply to me once so obviously she isn't totally creeped out (I hope).  There's just something about Rowell's writing style that I love: it's "heart-wrenching with a teaspoon of quirkiness".  Honestly, I could go on forever about how much I love Rowel's books.  I would just take my advice and read the book, along with her other ones, Eleanor & Parkand Fangirl

==The Unread==

#1: The List by Siobhan Vivian
I finally got tired of seeing this book on the self that I bought it.  It's been on my 'To Read' list forever, but I just haven't taken the initiative to buy it.  According to the back cover, the book follows eight different girls who are battling 'issues of identity, self-esteem, and judgements from their peers.'  I'm expecting a moving story that encompasses the struggles a girl can face going through dreaded high school.

#2: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
I'm ALWAYS up for a girl power book, and I expect this book to be one.  Three girls work together to get revenge on the people who have wronged them: tell me that doesn't sound appealing.  I'm pretty non-confrontational, but I love a little payback where deserved.

#3: The Program by Suzanne Young
Don't judge me, but I was primarily intrigued with this because of the yellow outfits.  Any book with the color yellow on it usually gets a second glance from me.  This one is a little hard for me to explain as it's a sci-fi/fantasy book, and I haven't read it yet.  However, the back reads, "In this “gripping tale for lovers of dystopian romance” (Kirkus Reviews), true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program."  Sounds like a deep one to me, but I'm excited to see how Young does with this idea.

#4: My Life with the Walter Boys by Ali Novak
The back cover of the book gives away three surprises: 1) Jackie's family dies in a freak car accident: 2) Jackie has to move cross-country to live with the Walters-her new guardians: 3) The Walters have twelve sons (Well, eleven, but Parker acts like a boy anyway).  That's a lot of information for only the back cover of a book, but it got me really intrigued on what happens on the inside.  I'm expecting a beautiful coming-of-age story that involves some unexpected up and downs.  Another think that interested me was that this author made a name for herself on Wattpad.com, a site that you can share and read stories for free.  It's cool to see that she went from an online writer to a printed author.

Have you read anything on 'The Read' or 'The Unread' list?  I'd love to hear your opinions on them :D  Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day :D

No comments:

Post a Comment