Wednesday, November 19, 2014

It's time to talk about it...

The posts on Lizzy’s Luggage have held a wide variety of subjects over the years.  I’ve talked about Study Tips, Love Songs, Future Husbands, and even Sketchy Spring Break hotels.  I think I’ve mentioned One Direction and my dogs at least 200 times, and my obsession with Disney movies is obvious on my corner of the Internet. 

But what hasn’t been a subject on the blog?  What have I never talked about?

My sexual escapades/lack there of.

You have no idea how I conduct myself away from the blog.  I could be someone with a different guy between-the-sheets every night.  I could also be someone who took the purity pledge at ten and has never touched another person.  I might have plans to wait till marriage or I might not.

And you know what?  I like it that way.

Because it’s no one’s damn business what I do.

I apologize for the French, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  I’ve recently been a witness to the spreading of the article I Waited Until My Wedding Night To Lose My Virginity And I WishI Hadn’t on Facebook.  I recommend you read the article and then come back to hear my thoughts.

I’ve had a few friends share the post, but not without consequences.  Seems that a lot of people have a lot of feelings about the subject, and instead of getting in some catty battle with people through Facebook comments; I’ve decided to write down my personal feelings here.

And my personal feelings are: why does one person’s belief have to bother other people.  For goodness sake’s; we have a freedom to believe what we want.  Quit mentally burning people at the stake because their beliefs are different from yours.

I am a very proud Christian.  I know exactly what the bible says about saving yourself for after marriage:

But if the thing is true, that evidence of virginity was not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father's house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.” Deuteronomy 22:20-21 (ESV)

“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality” 1 Thessalonians 4:3 (ESV)

Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.” 1 Corinthians 6:18 (ESV)

I know Christians who have upheld this promise and others who have not.  I believe they will all be welcomed into the Kingdom of God regardless.  The God I’ve come to know would not turn someone away who believes he is the Father and that he sent his son to die for us.  Actually, I refuse to believe in a God who would.

It’s the same concept that is coming up with gay rights.  God does say in the Bible that marriage should be between a man and a woman.  Nonetheless, like I said before, I refuse to believe in a God who would deny his mercy and grace to someone because of who they love.  I refuse to it.  I believe in this God:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

“The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” Zephaniah 3:17

“But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.” Psalm 86:15

“But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved...” Ephesians 2:4-5

These are my personal beliefs.  Take note of the word ‘personal’.  I’m not trying to make you agree with me, but I do want you to understand. 

Telling someone they won’t make it to heaven based on their beliefs is one of the worst things I feel that a Christian can do.  It is NOT our place to make any sort of judgments on someone: they’ll come face-to-face with the judge above all when it’s their time, as will you. 

As a former political science student, I’m always up for a good sharing of opinions and debate.  However, when phrases like “What you believe is sinful” are thrown out, a firm line has been crossed.  When bible verses are thrown as weapons, it’s time for everyone to reevaluate what’s going on.

God’s word is to be used to spread his love; not for you to prove you’re right and someone else is going to hell.

Let’s look back at the author I mentioned previously.  Her name is Samantha, by the way, for those who seem to only remember one aspect about her.  Samantha has turned away from God and his love because of people pushing their beliefs on her.  As a Christian, it brings tears to my eyes to hear a story like this.  I can only hope that one day she might turn back to God, but looking at some of the comments she’s been receiving, I wouldn’t blame her for never doing that.

A believer turned away and all anyone can seem to do is harass her.  I plan to reach out to Samantha through email in the near future.  No, I don’t want to push my beliefs on her, but to instead thank her for telling her story.  To share a story about something that personal must have taken so much courage and strength, and the fact that she hasn’t taken it down is huge: she stands by her beliefs.  Christian or not, she’s a human.

Christianity isn’t an island where we can vote people off.  We can’t push people away: we don’t have that authority.  Our faith isn’t something we should use as hammers to beat people down; it’s something we should use to spread love.

I could go on for days, but the fact of the matter is: we need to quit promoting ourselves as the judges of the universe.  We do not have the power to decide who can and cannot be a Christian.  My beliefs are different from yours, as your beliefs are different from another person’s. 

You’re probably expecting me to finish this with my views on the whole debate of staying a virgin till marriage.  Well, you’re going to be disappointed. I’ve had my conversation with God on the matter, and I don’t need to defend myself to anyone else. 


And frankly: it’s none of your damn business.


No comments:

Post a Comment